Sunday, March 16, 2008

Week 10 - Diversity of Life

  1. How would you prioritize the reintroduction of the American Bison into its natural home?
  2. How would you assess the "New pill promises to reduce breast cancer risk"?

1.
For me, this says it all (or most of it, anyway) :

"We recognize the bison is a symbol of our strength and unity, and that as we bring our herds back to health, we will also bring out people back to health." - Fred DuBray, Cheyenne River Sioux



For me, any return to a deeper respect and intimate relationship with of our animal ancestors would be tremendously healing, helpful, and empowering for the human beings. With this in mind, I believe that the returning of the Bison to their land and abundance is extremely important and relevant to our times and our needs.


2.
I am all for the improvement of health, freedom, body-wellness and healthy body-image. I am all for feeling good.

I am also highly suspect of ANYTHING that stops the monthly release of blood and energy that the female human body expresses. I realize that the effects of preventing the period may not be immediately or directly noticed but I would like this to stopping the release of urine or sweat, or any other substance naturally coming out of the body.

I would say that this is the MOST risky aspect of this proposed pharmaceutical chemical cocktail. Also, considering that we are finding contraceptive chemicals from the Pill and other pharmaceutical birth-control substances in our drinking water, I find it ironic to think that we would be flushing a new birth-control and anti-cancer chemical down the toilet while suffering from cancer potentially caused by, or connected with the drinking of toxic water. This new chemical - mifeopristone - is completely unknown to the human body or the natural world. How much are we going to test it? or how much has it been tested and the appropriate number of people educated about it that we can now release it publicly?? This article only offers "protective effect" and signs that the chemical, when put in contact with cancerous cells, appears to have "limited their growth". So, is this insurance enough that this pill I am going to ask you to take is safe? Are you convinced? I bet the lab rats who were given this drug aren't!

I love this woman's quotation, it reveals some amazing logic; Anna Glasier says, "The idea that not having a period is unnatural is not true. Years ago, women would be pregnant, or breastfeeding and died much earlier; we had far fewer periods."

WHAT? so what I am reading is: it isn't not natural to stop having a period indefinitely because of taking a foriegn chemical substance BECAUSE women of yore had fewer periods??

wait.

women had less periods in the past? really? because why?
because they were pregnant, breastfeeding or dying... riiiiiiiggggghhhhhhht...

Who are these people and what pill(s) are they on?

There are herbs that do the same thing aren't there? Contraception isn't some new modern wiz-technology... it's been around since before we can remember.


Here is an appropriate quotation:

"In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it's the exact opposite." - Paul Dirac

2 comments:

rachel said...

I completely agree about the need for an energetic and physical release from a woman's body each month. It's always seemed really strange to me that men don't have this. I know it sounds trite, but really, as a woman it's unfathomable.

Acubianca said...

Let me first commend you on the most beautiful blog I've yet to see online, especially for Biology class. (No offense to fellow classmates, of course). But really, well done. I can't begin to figure out how to plug in the cool illustrations and all that... wow. And now, to Biology and commentary: As you suggested- any deeper relationship one can work toward with animal beings is one of healing and love. I do not have a longing to save buffalo, but I have an oddly intense loyalty to dogs. The thought and realization that they are creatures who are not always loved, protected, and adored can literally send me over the edge... their spirit is one of kindness, loyalty, and are simply pure beings. In that sense and knowing, I can sympathize and understand the process of bringing herds back to health, and thereby, people of similar spirit.